British Backpacker Dies in Indonesian Jungle
Above Photo: Cheznye Emmons
Asian jungles claimed another backpacking victim recently, when a British backpacker died after drinking poisoned gin during a trip around south-east Asia.
Cheznye Emmons, 23, suffered methanol poisoning after reportedly drinking from a bottle labelled gin, during a trek in the Indonesian jungle.
She was apparently on her way to a full-moon party but her health deteriorated quickly and she reportedly complained she had lost her sight.
Miss Emmons, from Great Wakering, Essex, went through the jungle to the nearest eye clinic and was referred to a hospital in Sumatra, where she was put in an induced coma. Her parents then flew to her bedside and a few days later made the decision to turn off her life support machine.
Ms Emmons was said to have fallen ill after drinking from a bottle bought from a local shop in the popular tourist site of Bukit Lawang in northern Sumatra.Two other travellers also had health problems after consuming the drink.
Methanol, which is found in anti-freeze and varnish, is poisonous and causes kidney failure, blindness, seizures and death.
A Foreign Office spokesman said: “We can confirm the death of a British national in Indonesia and we are providing consular assistance to the family at this difficult time.”
It is believed the shop would have poured the gin out of the original bottle and then replaced it with methanol, as the original bottle was labelled gin when they drank it.
Other tourists have reportedly fallen ill after mistakenly drinking alcohol containing methanol while in the country.
In January, a 19-year-old from Australia died after drinking a cocktail at a New Year’s Eve party.
Last year, a New Zealand teenager was left blind after drinking methanol.
See the trailer for our new film, M.I.A. A Greater Evil. Set in the jungles of Laos and Vietnam, the film deals with the possible fate of US servicemen left behind after the US pulled out of the Vietnam War.
© Peter Alan Lloyd
BACK Parts 1 and 2:
Reviews: Amazon.co.uk: Customer Reviews